Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Tulip Festival
For preschool we took the kids to the Tulip Festival which I was really excited about until I woke up and saw the endless rain. I guess I am not a true Oregonian because i am not a fair through it anyway despite the rain type of person, but of course we went because I knew the kids would have fun regardless. I brought umbrellas and their coats and of course McKenna had her rain boots. Even more proof that I refuse to accept the rain is that I don't own any rain boots and I don't have any for Graysen, after this trip though I am seriously reconsidering that. The kids played in the sand boxes for a little bit which at least was undercover.
The fun play stuff was all out in the open and wet so I didn't want the kids to play on it and get all wet. McKenna had a nice learning lesson though. She asked if she could go down the big slide and I told her that she could but that she had to realize if she went down that her bum would get all wet and that since I didn't have a change of clothes for her she would have to be wet the rest of the time we were there and I knew she wouldn't like that. I let her make the decision and of course she chose to go down.
When she was on it she was not happy about her bum being wet and started to complain to me but I had to remind her that it was her choice and I told her what the consequences would be. She told me next time she would make a better choice, but then she just made the most of it and was happy regardless of being wet. That just made me think how are Heavenly Father feels when he tells us the consequences of the choices we make but we do it regardless of what might happen. He doesn't prohibit us from doing it even though he knows what is going to happen, he lets us make the decision and helps us deal with the consequences and make the best of it after wards. As much as I knew she would not be happy getting her bum all wet I wanted her to make the choice so that she could learn for herself and make a better decision the next time because she would trust in my warnings and know that what I said was right. It is moments like this that its hard letting go and letting them make their own decisions, but also it is rewarding knowing that they are learning and choosing for themselves and it gives me hope that they will make the right choices in the future. All we can do is teach them correct principals and let them choose for themselves and hope and pray that they will heed your warnings and come to trust in your advice. Anyway I know that it was a little off point but it was just something that really hit me.
So back to the activity at hand,the kids played on the hay bales and slide and then we went to look at the tulips.
They were really beautiful and it was amazing to see all those flowers. Graysen tried to pick them off so I had to watch him really closely. It soon turned into my nightmare because Graysen started stomping in the mud and he fell a few times and was covered with mud and got my pants all muddy in the process. I was all worried about it at first but then I was just like whatever, just go with it. It wouldn't have been so bad but then I dropped my camera in the mud and we had to drive home all muddy.
The kids had a lot of fun and I hope they didn't notice that I was not so much. We stripped them down when we got to the car and they rode home in their underwear and diapers. I don't usually let my kids get all dirty like that because I hate cleaning it up, but I am glad they got to have fun and just play and get dirty and I learned that sometimes it is okay to just let loose and not worry about the mess but let them have fun. Not that I don't ever let them do anything, but it is just going out in the rain getting all muddy that puts me off to the idea. Anyway it was a good wake up call for me and learning experience and in the end that is the best type of trip right :
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
That looks like fun! And yes, a good life lesson learned. I don't like to let my kids get dirty, either. Haha. I still have a ways to go.
Post a Comment